This guide is intended to help Harvard students and faculty find newspapers and newspaper articles. Recent articles (post-1980) are most easily accessible via online sources which offer full text of hundreds of newspapers.
Other full-text sources, collective indexes and indexes of individual papers are listed under the other tabs of this guide. Some indexes of limited chronological and/or geographical extent are not included. In the HOLLIS Catalog, search Subject keywords: "Newspapers indexes" to find many of these, e.g., <newspapers indexes Manitoba>. Some indexes may have been overlooked; search the HOLLIS Catalog for particular indexes.
"INDEX Film" indicates a printed index to a microfilm.
Newspaper indexes that are not listed in this guide, including many not held by Harvard, are listed in:
Web sites of hundreds of newspapers are accessible through NewsLink. The British Library maintains a list of newspaper-related research guides. Newspapers on the Web sometimes offer only articles from one or two day's issues; others have archives extending back several years.
The United States Newspaper Program site offers abundant state-by-state information on microfilmed and, in some cases, digitally accessible newspers.
- ICON: International Coalition on Newspapers - Newspaper digitization projects.
- List of online newspaper archives.
- Newspaper Archive Sources on the Web
- Directory of Historical Newspapers on the Internet
- Historical Newspapers Online (University of Pennsylvania)
- Historical Newspapers Online (University of Illinois)
- United States Online Historical Newspapers (Includes newspapers digitized by Google)
Other research guides include: